Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said that the streaming platform has been working “pretty far ahead” on delivering new shows to its audiences. Fortunately, this would mean that there would be no disruption in programming, and maybe schedules, to the service in the next months but might take a toll on the platform in the latter part of the year.
“It’s been a massive disruption. Every one of our productions around the world are shut down. It’s unprecedented in history,” he said Sunday on CNN’s Reliable Sources.
This is for the rest of the company to get its gears functioning––creative juices oozing out. Sarandos said for an example is the virtual 40-person table read for the show Big Mouth just last week. “People are getting geared up for a time they can get back to work.”
When asked by host Brian Stetler about viewing, Sarandos said it that all of it is up.
“You can imagine, all viewing is up. It’s up on Netflix, on CNN on television in general. The system has been very robust and can help out a lot of people. People certainly are watching a lot more Netflix. As Governor (Andrew) Cuomo said so beautifully the best thing you can do is stay at home we are trying hard to help.”
“What’s happening now is we work pretty far ahead with delivering all the episodes of our shows at once so no disruption over the net few months, maybe later in the year as physical production is not operational,” he added.
Alongside the great future-thinking of the company, Sarandos and the rest of the platform has offered their workers two weeks of pay because of the halt in productions. The company announced last week that they will be funding $100 million for these workers who took the hit in the industry––most especially the creatives.