Phillip Calvin McGraw, born on the 1st of September, 1950, in Vinita, Oklahoma, is widely known to be the Dr. Phil. He is one of the biggest American TV personalities out there, an author, psychologist, and the host of the legendary TV show titled Dr. Phil. Was it too obvious? He gained traction as an entertainer when he appeared in The Oprah Winfrey Show during the late 90s.
As a career, he first co-founded Courtroom Sciences Inc. in 1990 alongside lawyer Gary Dobbs. The business was, indeed, booming, and it became such a profitable venture that they helped plaintiffs to reach settlements. At this point, Dr. Phil already gave up his practice of psychology.
In 1995, however, all things were looking up when his consulting firm was hired by Oprah Winfrey. Eventually, Oprah invited him to the show to appear weekly to serve as a relationship and life strategy expert.
In 1999, Dr. Phil published his bestselling book titled Life Strategie: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters. This started the ball rolling and he continued to publish bestseller after bestseller in Relationship Rescue and The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide.
After Dr. Phil became, well, the Dr. Phil that he is after Oprah Winfrey’s show, he eventually decided to get his own talk show. His TV show debuted on the 16th of September, 2020. He had the same premise as his segment during Oprah’s show, offering advice and life strategies for the people in need.
|Net Worth||$440 million|
|Source of Income||Professional TV Host, Author|
|Birthday||September 1, 1950|
|Country of Origin:||Vinita, Oklahoma, United States of America|
- Psychologist Blood: His family moved so his father could pursue his goal of becoming a psychologist after being in the oilfields of Northern Texas.
- Set, Hut!: Before becoming the distinguished man he is, he first became a middle linebacker for the University of Tulsa where he was awarded a football scholarship.
- An Actual Doctor: He earned his Ph.D. degree in clinical psychology at the University of North Texas. He was guided through the program by Frank Lawlis who now serves as the primary contributing psychologist for his TV show.
- Trial Consultant: Before his fame, he was first a trial consultant for Courtroom Sciences alongside Gary Dobbs.
- Farewell, Psychology: Soon after starting CSI, he stopped practicing psychology after 15 years.
- Britney Controversy: In January 2008, Dr. Phil visited Britney Spears in her hospital room asking for an “intervention” for his TV show. “This is another example of a trust being betrayed. Rather than helping the family’s situation, the celebrity psychologist caused additional damage,” Spears’ family spokeswoman Lou Taylor stated.
- Unsuccessful Love Life: Dr. Phil married Debbie Higgins McCall in 1970 when he was just 20 years old. However, she claimed that she was confined to just domestic duties and lifting weights to improve her figure.
- Here’s the Successful One, Though!: Dr. Phil started dating Robin Jo Jameson and they’ve had two children together.
- Like Father, Like Son: Jay McGraw, Dr. Phil’s son, has also started to publish life strategies and books targeting teenagers.
- He Has Wings: No, he’s not an angel––but he is a private pilot.